Appropriately qualified research assistants must be available in a reasonable timeframe to provide technical expertise in the following critical areas:
• Hands-on experience with PCR reactions set-up, analysis and troubleshooting
• DNA/RNA manipulation
• Must be able to operate general laboratory equipment such as balances,
centrifuges, pipettes, and mixers
• Ideal candidate must be motivated, organized, and disciplined, with excellent
record keeping skills and a superb attention to detail.
• Sterility (aseptic technique)
• Chemistry background (solution preparation, molarity calculations)
• Controls and quality assurance work
• Documentation systems (spreadsheets, lab notebooks)
• DNA and RNA extraction experience
• Clean room experience (DNA free)
• High-throughput workflows
• Experience with BSL2 processes
• Experience with qPCR
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating, and
maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
• Must have excellent computer aptitude, including proficiency with word
processing and spreadsheet software
• Must have a high degree of personal integrity, must be able to multi-task,
hygiene oriented, quality and safety conscious.
• Comfortable working independently and within a team environment
• Excellent communication (oral and written) and attention to detail
• Takes responsibility for management of research laboratory including
inventory control, equipment maintenance, supply management, and general
care for the laboratory environment
• Able to consistently deliver quality results on time
• Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep
accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with institutional policiesWork schedules
Contract employees are expected to work a standard 40-hour week. In addition, occasionally programmatic needs of individual research groups mandate modifications to this schedule in order to meet goals/milestones. As such, it is sometimes impossible to complete scheduled experiments in a normal work day (8 hours). Thus, contract employees may be required to work overtime or on a weekend or holiday to keep biological experiments going continuously. This requirement is presented and extensively discussed with prospective candidates during the interview process. Supervisors for individual research projects will determine individual work schedules.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- BS or MS degree with experience in molecular biology (background in
- Experience with a wide range of molecular biology methodologies. Direct
experience with DNA/RNA extractions from complex samples (i.e. not solely
pure culture), extensive experience troubleshooting PCR is a plus.
- Ability to effectively communicate as part of a team is essential. Ability to work
independently, without direct supervision is also required. Ability to multitask
and prioritize complex tasks to meet deadlines.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at 844-463-6178