Neighborhood Housing Services
TITLE : Construction Specialist
DEPARTMENT : Construction Services
REPORTS TO : Construction Manager
SALARY GRADE : H
FLSA STATUS : Exempt
REVISED DATE : March 15, 2021
NEIGHBORHOOD HOUSING SERVICES of CHICAGO (NHS) is a nationally respected non-profit organization working to rebuild low- to moderate-income neighborhoods in the city of Chicago which are experiencing deterioration and disinvestments. NHS cultivates community reinvestment through a partnership of residents, business and government. NHS’ mission is to rekindle hope in a neighborhood’s future, to restore conventional and local investment in the community, and to create empowered, self-reliant homeowners.
We are currently seeking a CONSTRUCTION SPECIALIST to provide construction and housing rehabilitation project management services for NHS Lending Services while managing the collateral interest of the organization.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Consult with potential clients to analyze project needs and provide construction cost estimates based on the nature of proposed work.
• Assist clients and/or architects in the preparation of the proposed scope of work, architectural plans and specifications in accordance with the local building codes and NHS minimum Housing Quality Standards, (HQS), to provide contractor’s detailed information needed to determine project cost.
• Administer bidding process to meet established timelines.
• Assist clients in the review and selection of contractors and architects for proposed projects. Review and interpret architectural plans and prepare feedback for clients and staff.
• Inspect and monitor construction in progress to ensure compliance with contract specifications, expedite payouts for completed work, conduct final inspections to certify the completion of a job and submit closeout documentation.
• Establish and maintain paper and electronic records and documentation of assigned cases.
• Participate in developing construction policies and procedures in accordance with Local and State laws.
• Provide construction services and support for special projects that are part of NHS/NLS mission or Neighborhood Work (e.g.: NHSRC projects, NeighborWorks Week projects, Model Block projects, etc.).
• Recruit, evaluate and develop a resource list of contractors who meet the program requirements and needs.
• Develop working relationship with materials suppliers and manufacturers’ to locate and evaluate new material sources and information.
• Provide clients information regarding local building code compliance, acceptability of construction methods, building maintenance and contractor’s license and insurance coverage.
• Maintains required job skills and core professional competencies.
• Attends and participates in required educational training, programs and staff meetings.
• Prepare feasibility studies and reports.
Associate Degree and three (3) years construction or related or high school diploma, trade school and five (5) years construction experience.
Five (5) years work experience, minimum three (3) years construction related work in residential home building, home repair, or home remodeling.
Special Knowledge and Skills
• Ability to communicate effectively both in written and oral presentation.
• Ability to maintain organization in changing environment
• Ability to read and interpret architectural drawings.
• Ability to write a scope of repairs and cost estimate
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Salesforce, and Housing Developer Pro
• Knowledge of all construction trades, contract administration and office procedures.
• Ability to manage multiple projects while maintaining good business ethics.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Obtain State of Illinois License as Lead Based-Paint Inspector/Risk Assessor, within six (6) months of hire.
Valid driver’s license with access to a safe, reliable vehicle for extensive travel associated with the position.
NHS offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. We also offer a team spirit, which strives for excellence in customer service.