Chicago Transit Authority
Manages and directs all activities within the Purchasing Department that procures the goods and services necessary for the daily operations of the CTA, the maintenance of its rolling stock and the physical plant, and the design and construction of CTA’s capital projects. Oversees Oracle Purchasing and Inventory modules and Microsoft functional support staff in the maintenance of systems that support all procurement functions. Implements the initiatives, directions, and policies of the department and overall CTA.
- Directs department personnel and activities within the Purchasing Department involved in the procurement of goods and services necessary for the operations of the CTA.
- Ensures that the public contracting process (including the solicitation and review of bid proposals, and the negotiation and execution of contracts) is done in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and CTA regulations.
- Establishes training requirements necessary for compliance with these laws and regulations.
- Establishes objectives, priorities, and schedules work priorities and deadlines as necessary for daily CTA operations.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures required for the operation of the Purchasing Department to be in compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Consults with the Diversity Department to ensure compliance with federal and Authority DBE/EEO Contracting Program requirements.
- Reviews, approves, and signs various Purchasing Department forms, reports, and letters.
- Reviews and approves documents and plans to be presented to the CTA‘s Board of Directors for authorization.
- Evaluates the analyses and recommendations regarding bid protests, contractor defaults, claims and disputes and issues final determinations of the Authority.
- Approves procurement transactions in the form of service orders, task orders, work orders, proceed orders and field memos as required.
- Approves and signs extension letters, directive letters, reallocation of contract funds, and staff changes.
- Serves as liaison and subject matter expert on behalf of the Authority’s Purchasing Department with various internal and external parties.
- Consults with other transit agencies and industry experts to assess new technologies, procurement strategies and vendor capability and experience to ensure that the Authority has access to state-of-the-art transit industry technology, and economical means of acquiring goods and services from responsible contractors.
- Consults with Authority management to establish procurement needs, priorities and negotiation strategies of major procurements.
- Represents the Authority in settlement negotiations with contractors in anticipation of legal action. Collaborates with the Law Department on various issues as necessary including amending contract documents and FOIA requests.
- Consults and coordinates with funding agencies on procurement matters.
- Oversees functional staff in support of the Oracle Enterprise Resource Planning System Purchasing, Inventory Management, and Order Management modules. Oversees the creation of forms, reports, etc. in support of various Purchasing initiatives.
- Oversees functional staff in the creation, maintenance, and support of Microsoft Office Suite applications including the development of forms, relational databases, etc. in support of various Purchasing initiatives. Creates new workflow processes to increase department efficiency.
- Reviews and approves all personnel actions initiated by department management personnel. Acts as the Vice President Purchasing in Vice President’s absence.
- Hires, trains, develops, monitors, and evaluates performance of staff. Reviews and recommends personnel actions for approval.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Reporting to this position may include the following jobs:
• Senior Manager, Procurement
• Dealing with funding/budget constraints, market conditions, shifting needs/priorities, compressed time schedules, regulatory compliance/constraints, vendor performance while trying to maintain Authority needs.
• Providing consultation and coordination with user, Law, DBE, and Benefit Services departments to ensure that all laws and program requirements are met in the contracting process.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Management, or a related field, plus ten (10) years of experience in the management of procurement, purchasing, and/or contract and negotiations with at least five (5) years in a supervisory/management role, or an equivalent combination of education and experience related to this position.
• Master’s Degree in Business Administration or a Juris Doctor preferred.
• Requires sitting for extended periods of time, standing, visual acumen, manual dexterity, and fingering for working with computer keyboards.
• Must be able to walk, sit, and carry up to 25 pounds.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Detailed knowledge of the principles and procedures of contracts administration related to construction, professional services, materials, supplies, equipment, and preferably transit revenue vehicles.
• Detailed knowledge of federal, state, and regional procurement regulations and guidelines.
• Detailed knowledge and understanding of formal and informal competitive bidding procedures and the legal implications and requirements of both.
• Detailed knowledge of Purchasing theories and principles.
• Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite and the application of these products in support of Purchasing activities.
• Working knowledge of Oracle Enterprise Resource Planning System Purchasing and Inventory Management modules.
• Working knowledge of various trade contracts and unions.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong management and leadership skills and strategic ability to formulate and drive a high-profile and company-wide program.
• Strong organizational and management skills necessary to define, develop and evaluate goals, objectives, standards and performance levels for assigned personnel.
• Intermediate software skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, Oracle database, and various Purchasing applications.
• Ability to create and edit clear and concise work product.
• Ability to manage and evaluate the work of professional, technical and clerical staff engaged in procurement functions including, but not limited to micro purchases, formal and informal contracts, negotiated and sealed bid procurements.
• General office environment.
• Occasionally required to visit operating locations including Bus Garages, Rail Shops, and construction sites.
• Subject to normal garage/shop location hazards, such as noise, dust, grease, moving vehicles, etc. when visiting field locations.
• Subject to weather conditions when traveling to and from field locations.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, AND MATERIALS UTILIZED
• Standard office equipment.
• Personal computer and related software, such as Microsoft Office and other PC and mainframe computer systems.
Please note, employees and/or union members will be given priority consideration in the hiring process, per the applicable labor contracts.
Final salary will be determined in part by the qualifications of the selected candidate and may be higher or lower than target.
Applicants, if hired,must comply with CTA's residency ordinance.
CTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, unfavorable military discharge, disability or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws; except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for our workforce and supporting the communities we serve. CTA will make reasonable accommodations for the known disabilities of otherwise qualified applicants for employment as well as its employees, unless undue hardship would result. If you require an accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] prior to the submission of your application or upon notification of your actual test date. CTA will work with you to determine if an accommodation can be provided.