Chief Human Resource Officer
Company is seeking a Chief Human Resource Officer (CHRO) for its complex, varied and challenging HR footprint with highly customized HR needs at its various locations across the US. This role will report directly to the CEO of the company. The CHRO will lead the HR function and lead a team accountable Company NA including talent acquisition, compensation, benefits, employee and labor relations as well as payroll and HRIS. The CHRO will serve as a member of Company NA’s Executive Committee. The selected individual will also be a member of the top Executive group of Company Group, the French corporate parent of Company NA, and will serve as a member of the HR global executive team.
The CHRO will provide HR advice and counsel to the CEO and the company’s executive leadership team on HR issues and is responsible for coordinating and directing all human resources functions at Company NA. As the top HR leader for Company NA, this individual will play a leading role on a variety of business and operational-oriented people processes and initiatives including all M&A activity for the company from both a due-diligence and acquisition integration standpoint.
The CHRO will manage the succession planning, assessment, and organizational design functions jointly with the executive team by providing structure, guidance, and facilitation to processes. This individual will provide thought leadership within HR and through relationships with HR colleagues in the transportation and logistics industry, as well as other industries. In addition, this individual will be responsible for:
- Designing and/or developing a top-notch HR organization that is structured in a manner that delivers leading-edge HR strategies and optimizes HR service delivery to all levels of the organization. Ensuring that there is a strong focus on supporting and meeting internal client objectives and ensuring internal client satisfaction.
- Translating the strategic and tactical business plans into HR strategic and operational plans. Developing and monitoring budgets and appropriate KPIs for corporate HR, talent acquisition, benefits/comp, and learning and development.
- Identifying, analyzing and supporting costing of talent for new business opportunities and ensuring the deployment and implementation of staffing needs for new operational locations.
- Developing, implementing and overseeing the execution of talent acquisition strategies and plans to identify and attract top talent within and outside the corporation for managerial and corporate positions.
- Providing guidance, monitoring, strategies and vendor relationships to solve high-volume and high turn-over personnel challenges, specifically in the driver and mechanic job functions, often in collaboration with operations and key stakeholders.
- The overall management of rewards programs including merit and incentive programs; developing new programs, long term incentives where appropriate and providing administrative and fiduciary direction on all retirement plans and employee benefit offerings.
- Drive effective talent assessment, performance management, succession planning, mentoring, learning and development programs and training processes and programs.
- Developing and deploying processes for assessing talent and talent gaps as well as programs to prepare employees for more significant responsibilities through coaching/mentoring, development of general business acumen and /or other programs to enhance employee knowledge and understanding of the business.
- Developing and enforcing appropriate policies and procedures for effective management of the people resources of the corporation. This includes coordinating the integration of domestic and international policies and programs where necessary.
- Managing other areas such as relocation, immigration, employee communication and engagement programs.
- Other duties as required.
The successful candidate will be recognized as a Human Resources leader with 15 plus years of broad-based HR experience within organizations with large, geographically dispersed, direct labor populations. Collaborative problem solving and strong project management skills as well as direct experience leading the critical elements of an HR function at the corporate and/or division level as well as experience with Canadian operations is preferred. Solid exposure to and working knowledge of key HR functions including employee/labor relations, talent acquisition, organizational development, talent management are essential. In addition, this individual will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Business Administration or related discipline required
- An advanced degree (MBA) is highly preferred.
- Professional designation such as HRCI SPHR and/or SHRM-SCP preferred.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in Human Resources with 5 years at a senior leadership level.
- Minimum 2 years at an Executive level preferred.
Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Demonstrated confidence and strong executive presence with ability to communicate effectively at all levels of an organization including the with CEO, the executive leadership team, the management team and operationally focused employees in the field.
- Knowledge of best practices in HR and issues impacting the workforce in multiple markets and a current approach to blended learning and adult learning in particular.
- Ability to think strategically, but also focus on tactical and operational issues having the ability to manage time and resources, flexing from strategic thinking to hands-on execution.
- Ability to function effectively in a diverse cultural and highly varied regional environment.
- Demonstrated awareness regarding Diversity and Inclusion.
- Experience with labor relations and represented employees including collective bargaining process and agreements and related functions is preferred.
- Experience in managing high-volume recruitment, managing in a low-margin business, understanding and motivating employees at all levels is preferred.
- M&A experience including due diligence and workforce integration is preferred.
- This position requires approximately 30% domestic travel and occasional international travel, consequently this individual must maintain a valid passport