Commodity Risk Analyst - IL Chicago
Joseph T. Ryerson & Son, Inc.
Job ID: 6147
Joseph T. Ryerson & Son, Inc., a leading distributor and processor of metals in North America, serving customers through a network of service centers across the United States, Canada, Mexico, and China, is currently seeking a Commodity Risk Analyst to join our risk management team headquartered in downtown Chicago, IL.
Working directly with the Director of Risk Management, the commodity risk analyst will help generate commodity hedging and investment strategies based on fundamental research and data analysis. Analysis will be prepared for senior management, supply chain teams, internal salespeople, and external customers. Successful analysts will be given greater responsibility and input into hedging and investment decisions.
• Generate and execute hedging and investment ideas based on fundamental market research, data analysis and customer requests
• Suggest and place strategic and customer commodity hedges with Ryerson’s service providers where policy allows.
• Develop and maintain a strong understanding of the industrial metals markets and the key drivers that impact them
• Build strong working relationships with internal Ryerson customers and with service providers
• Model commodity data for specific markets and produce ad hoc analysis based on short-term market developments.
• Provide up to date and accurate commodity prices and hedge quotations as requested and required
Build detailed fundamental commodity supply and demand models.
• Develop and expand analytics tools and processes while staying on top of market research and insights
• Evaluate and improve data quality
• Work closely with the Supply Chain Senior Analyst on data gathering and analysis where required.
• Generate required reports as requested and required by the business
• Bachelor’s degree and/or work equivalent experience in statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance, accounting, or economics
• Fluency within Microsoft applications (Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint) required. Familiarity with Bloomberg, PowerBI is a bonus.
• Excellent analytical and quantitative skills, with strong attention to detail
• Strong understanding of financial modeling
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and thrive in a fast-paced team environment while collaborating with cross-functional teams
• Positive attitude, competitive, goal-oriented, driven with a passion to excel
• Prior commodities experience preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex,
age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity,
status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal,
state or local protected class.