Medline Industries, Inc.
Support the patent preparation, application, and prosecution related to medical devices. Act as a liaison for interdepartmental initiatives. Interact with legal counsel on a regular basis.
- Perform patentability, infringement, validity, freedom to operate, clearance and landscape searches.
- Search and assess prior art, and serve as a resource on patent matters for inventors, patent attorneys and management.
- Work directly with business partners and stake holders to clear products and ideas, and assess patentability of new ideas and product
- Facilitate innovation brainstorming and directed innovation sessions. Identify competitive trends for the different divisions in helping to support strategic innovation goals
- Provide input during the preparation of freedom to operate determinations, often as a collaborative team, as well as occasional technical assessments necessary for the preparation of other legal opinions.
- Extract the maximum value out of new product proposals and inventions through a detailed analysis and understanding of the research data and the prior art in the field.
- Provide competitive intelligence and monitor competitors%26rsquo; IP for clearance and strategic IP portfolio planning. Manage a patent portfolio and other patent related projects as a patent liaison for assigned business units.
- Assist in and collaborate with outside counsel to file and prosecute patent applications, with a primary focus on the protection of inventions and patent prosecution relating to medical devices.
- Analyze patent office actions, gather relevant data and information, and assist with responding to claims.
- Bachelor%26rsquo;s degree in Engineering or Physical Science or related field.
- Registration with the USPTO.
- At least 5 years of patent experience working in either in house (preferred) or firm setting
- Ability to search patents and publications for patentability and freedom to operate in support of innovation filings and product clearance.
- Knowledge of the medical device field and patents
- Proficient with commercial patent and publication databases.
- Experience with patents and design in the medical field